Friday, February 18, 2011

Future projects: Ombré dyeing

While doing some online shopping for a dress to wear to my best friend's wedding, she came across this beautiful dress at Nordstrom that has an awesome gradation from eggplant-purple to light grey-purple.

The dye technique for this is called ombre. It is a process of dipping the fabric into the dye at intervals and interval depths. I remember in my undergrad there was a student who did a piece using silks she had dyed by hanging them so that only the bottom of the fabric was in the dye and she allowed the dye to wick up the fabric. These were some of the most beautifully dyed silks I've seen.

So, in an effort to learn a way to create a controlled gradation in one piece of fabric, I found this somewhat informative video from Otis College of Art & Design:


A future project perhaps?

1 comment: