Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snow Dyes Part 7

Yesterday I started another batch of dyes, as I continue to build my array of hand-dyed cottons for future projects, this time a gradation from golden yellow to sky blue. I hate to say it, but I did not particularly like the outcome of these dyes. The colors are not as vibrant as they could be. I suspect the problem is in the amount of soda-ash I failed to add to my solution. I've been using the same bucket of soda-ash water for all these dyes, adding a bit of soda-ash to the bucket when I add water, but in an effort to not be wasteful, continue to reuse what was left from each previous soaking. However, in doing that, I do not know how much soda-ash to add each time. This last time I added very little - about a teaspoon - and I suspect the mordant was too diluted for it to help create the vibrant colors I was hoping for. (Of course it could be the actual colors I was displeased with. While potentially useful, the olive/army green colors were not what I was hoping for.) I also added some salt this time, which, as it turns out, was a bad a idea. Salt is typically used as a dispersant, so it reduces the visual texture from crinkles, folds and other areas where the dye does not reach so readily. As I understand, adding salt to a dyebath helps to accomplish a more even color. I wanted more texture, not less.

Image copyright Katrina Boles

No comments:

Post a Comment