Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Nasa Images

So today I was frantically trying to finish composing the 20 pages of our vacation photo book so I could have it printed at Shutterfly during one of their sales. Well, I did finish 5 pages in about 6 hours. So I won't meet that deadline, but I did go looking for some supplemental images to serve as backgrounds. The original idea was to use maps, but I had a hard time finding aesthetically pleasing ones in the public domain, so then I went searching for birds-eye views of Utah and came across some nice NASA images and decided to layer my own map on top. Unfortunately I couldn't get NASA's visible earth site to work, so I was stuck with some low-res versions that I'm not happy with. But, it did lead me to NASA's image of the day site which is right up there with National Geographic's photo of the day site. So here are some recent favorites from NASA's site:
"On August 1, 2010, almost the entire Earth-facing side of the sun erupted in a tumult of activity. This image from the Solar Dynamics Observatory of the news-making solar event on August 1 shows the C3-class solar flare (white area on upper left), a solar tsunami (wave-like structure, upper right), multiple filaments of magnetism lifting off the stellar surface, large-scale shaking of the solar corona, radio bursts, a coronal mass ejection and more."
Credit: NASA/SDO/AIA
"This observation from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter shows the floor of a large impact crater in the southern highlands, north of the giant Hellas impact basin. Most of the crater floor is dark, with abundant small ripples of wind-blown material. However, a pit in the floor of the crater has exposed light-toned, fractured rock."
Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona
"The constellation Vulpecula is a veritable entire assembly line of newborn stars. The diffuse glow reveals the widespread cold reservoir of raw material that our Milky Way galaxy has in stock for building stars."
 Image credit: ESA/Hi-GAL Consortium
 
And now for the image you have all been waiting for... one of my "maps" with photos depicting part of our journey. This is the second map in a series of three, so it does not include our whole trip.
 
Also, this is pretty cool. It too is from NASA, and it's a topographical image of Zion National Park. Angel's Landing is where we hiked/climbed up 1488' to the top for a spectacular view of the canyon.

1 comment: