Monday, January 24, 2011

Snow Dyes Part 4

I so enjoyed doing all the test snow dyes, that I decided to go ahead and attempt to get the yellow to blue gradation I was hoping for our bedroom curtains. I had mixed the dye solution a few weeks ago and decided to use it the same way the first fabric was done, only I wanted to control the colors so they gradate from yellow to blue. Because of the size of the curtain panels, I decided to use a much larger plastic bin and layer them on top of one another with dye between each layer.

The next day, as I started rinsing the fabric, I knew it was too light, so I went right into an over-dye. I did this second one like the fourth "lasagna" fabric, using dye solution mixed in snow. I let the snow start melting on my printing table, and an hour later realized it was dripping all over the floor. Though I had intended to do each panel separately, I decided to layer them on top of one another so that the other panels could soak up all left-over dyed snow. The snow melted within an hour, and I decided to leave them to sit in the dye overnight. Today, they are still wet, so I think I will let them continue to dry out.

Here are views of the process:
Perhaps I will also post images once the panels are finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment