Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Monarch caterpillars days 5 and 6

Yesterday I did not get home early enough to get any pics of the caterpillars in the live milkweed plants, but it's just as well since I took so many pics today. But I did get a shot of my adopted caterpillar. Boy is he getting big! Eating voraciously... ok so they're all doing that. 

My adopted caterpillar, whom I have finally named Jamie. I'm hoping for a girl :)
Now for today's selection of photos, and yes, all six 'pillars are still eating voraciously and growing like crazy beasts. Initially I was only able to find five...



 And here this guy's brother is poking his head around...

After spotting the first five pretty easily, I had to hunt for number six. This little bugger was hiding out under the lowest leaf on a different stalk from all the others, and was tricky to get a good, in-focus shot:
 And, I got to watch what happens when two 'pillars try to eat the same leaf (they head-butt):
Now for the video of these two head-butting and eating:


Finally, here's Jamie, sleeping off her/his big meal, just after I cleaned out the jar. It's quite amusing how they can be chomping away on a leaf and then all of a sudden they fall asleep.

In case you missed them, here are the previous two posts (here and here). These photos were all taken with a Canon Rebel T3i with the Canon 18-55 zoom lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment