Wednesday, December 15, 2010

No more imagination procrastination, please

At work I've had a few meetings about a potentially ongoing project for one of the colleges on campus. I was looking for inspiration to bring to my meeting today, thinking the project was essentially an ongoing retrospective told from the individuals who are part of the college's distinguished history, and was really trying to focus on how to make graphics for a prototype project about multiple people yet only having one person to begin with.

So I tried to focus on what the "many" could look like. I also began with something our client pointed out from the beginning - that it should have warmth and be human. I couldn't help but think of Dow Chemical's campaign "The Human Element" (Dow seemed to create this campaign to bury a shady past that has dolled out death and destruction for unknown thousands, but the ads themselves are quite good).
  
Just as as side-note, I can't think of Dow without thinking about the Yes Men who brought my attention to some of the atrocities of our generation. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend their documentary "The Yes Men Fix the World". It's very funny and poignant as well.
I also thought of the title sequence for In Plain Sight, a TV show that I've been watching on Netflix, which makes use of many pictures that come together to form one big picture - I've also seen this done in the movie Love, Actually.

However, I felt I would be coming to the meeting unprepared if I had not thought about how to incorporate ideas into something usable, which sent me down the road of procrastination by way of searching for more information. I found a couple of other images that could inspire a title sequence. The first is called "Houdini in plain sight", by blogger Ted Warnell:
And the second is an image of the HSBC history wall, found among images of cool places to work, on a UK site of "The 6 Coolest Offices in the World":
Surely, among all of these visuals I can transform these ideas into something else that is perfect for this project, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment