Friday, August 13, 2010

Architecture, Design, Video, and Environmentalism

Kontentreal, a documentary film company that I would love to work for, has been and continues to make a series of 25 minute shows called e2. Though the episodes air on PBS, I have never managed to watch them on our local channel. I watched the first energy series about a year ago and decidedly loved not only the narrative style (if you watch nothing else, watch the first minute or so) but the shooting style as well. I think the blurred edges that leads your focus is added in post, but certainly it's the first time I've seen this effect.

The design episodes focus on architectural design and really show off some new and intriguing buildings of the green persuasion.

Watch the full episode. See more e2.

Along this same train of thought are the environmental homes. Both of these versions were pointed out to me by the same friend and both are spectacularly wacky and brilliant in their way:

The first is the earthship. Frankly, I'd like to live in one of these. Think about it...no more heating and air conditioning bills, create your home with used materials, recycle your water collected from rain, and power all your "I can't live without it" necessities of technology with wind and solar energy.



The second is the Tree Fab Hab.  While the thought of living in a tree house excites the little girl who never grew up inside of me, I don't think I could wait for my house to grow. Not to mention the fact that I struggle to keep up with my garden and yardwork outside of my house. I don't really want to imagine the weeds that would overtake my actual home!

I really did learn a lot about how much a good architectural design can affect the utilities of a house when we worked on the video for the Center for Sustainable Energy last year, if only we can implement at least some of these things into our current or next dwelling...until we can afford to build our own earthship.

No comments:

Post a Comment