Saturday, August 7, 2010

Google Images is my friend

Google Images is such a wonderful thing, especially when you can come up with some words to search that give you really interesting results. For example, if you search the word "orange" you will get images of the fruit, images using a lot of the color, images that include the word, etc. This was very helpful to me when I designed our T-shirt for Res Life when orange was our group color but no one in our group was particularly happy with that color. So, I created a vector image to represent both the color and fruit "orange". I realized then the possibilities of searching images, but have struggled sometimes to find good search terms. Today, after talking about love stories on our way home from a wedding in St. Louis, I decided to search "love story". Well, I got a lot of hits that you might expect: images of a CD with that title, movies with that in the title, etc. But then I found an image which led me to a website called DryIcons where they have a bunch of vector art, and there I found images I liked even better.

Sometimes I can't help but think "hmmm... how could I make that move?" 
 
And then there were just some that were "pretty"
 
I really was drawn to this one in particular:
After my discussion today with a friend who is working on a fellowship in D.C., researching a particular building of historical significance, it seems almost fitting I would be drawn to an image reminding me of a city skyline.

And in other news, a friend was telling me about this "grow your own home" project by MIT the other day. It's a bit of a stretch for me, since I have a hard time maintaining my yard and garden that I can't imagine how much work it would be to maintain a home that's literally growing, but wow, what a concept! Talk about a childhood dream - to live in a tree house - and environmentalism for the hard-core. Now, I want an eco-friendly house, but I'm not sure I'm willing to wait many years for it to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment