Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lights!!

I've been thinking a bit about how I'm drawn to images that have very distinct lighting. In art history classes, I favored the chiaroscuro paintings of Caravaggio, Velázquez, and Rembrandt to other pieces with less dimensionality. Can I help it that the first female artist to appear in art history class was also a chiaroscuro painter?
Artemisia Gentileschi, Judith and Her Maidservant, ca. 1625
I'm drawn to the eerie qualities of lighting figures so that most of them appears in shadow, a useful and beautifully effective way to wrap a character in mystery. But what happens when the light makes up more of the image than the darkness? I can attribute my first realization of this when I recognized the beauty in the titles of "Six Feet Under"

Though I didn't particularly get into the show, I thought the opening credits were simply stunning and they sent me into an imagery frenzy for a script idea I was contemplating at the time. The script never really turned into anything because I realized most of what I was "envisioning" was literally visual and required few spoken words.

So, when I began looking for inspiration today, I found myself looking through blogs that listed photoshop tutorials, and though I began this train of searching on smashingapps, I wound up looking through a blog from Vandelay Design of Photoshop tutorials and inspirational images. Interestingly enough on of my favorite images led me to this tutorial for creating neon effects by Tony Ariawan, which I am going to have to try out!
Stop Haunt Me Every Day 04 by Tony Ariawan

1 comment:

  1. Ah six feet under, even the show had a lot of visual imagery, though mostly dark. really got into a few years ago and watched each season obsessively on netflix, but probably would be too dark for me at this point in my life today.

    really love the last pic, to me it shows that we are all energy, and this says passion, but more angry passion in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete